Wednesday, October 05, 2005

thingz

Oh Blogger, it's been a while. Free wi-fi at home seems to have dried up. Not very much is new, I don't think. Susan and I will go to Martha's Vineyard or MassMoCA this (3-day) weekend. I'm taking German, and a girl in my class who is married to a German told us that English was invented to get rid of the need for the formal and informal "you" that exists in other languages. Someone from the office went to Montreal and brought back banana Kit-Kats which oh my God. Ran into a girl I knew in middle school at the Park St. station, we went for a drink and were met by her new Basque husband, and I did not tell the joke that ends in "All your Basques in one exit" - admire my restraint! Thinking of going to the Ig Nobel awards at Harvard tomorrow night.

I've been having weird flashes of missing random Pittsburgh things. Specifically:

1. The corner of Ellsworth and College.
2. (unspecified lovesick pangs for the Sharp Edge)
3 The liquor store across the street from the 61C in autumn.
4. Abate - this totally mediocre restaurant in the Waterworks - and the non-Abate Waterworks parking spaces that abut it.

Am sort of dating that guy from MIT, who recently told me that normally he's the one who holds his cards close to his chest while the Other is only too willing to show her hand. The thing is, I don't even know what my cards are. Or whether I should be playing.

3 Comments:

Blogger Jean-Pierre said...

Maybe you should challenge him to Boggle. You never were much for cards.

3:47 PM  
Blogger j. ondioline said...

He asked me about Boggle last night. Specifically - what it was.

That didn't win him any points. Also he didn't get very excited when I explained the game "Abi" to him. What's wrong with people that they want to discuss things other than word games? Luckily Mark and Rob are coming up next weekend. They're enthusiasts.

At any rate, last night I explained about how I didn't know what my cards were, and he thought about that for a minute and pronounced it impossible, and we had a good discussion about that. One thing I do like about him, he's an enthusiastic interruptor of conversation to debate terminology or whether something is possible, even when it's irrelevant to the point at hand.

5:50 PM  
Blogger g odoreida said...

A literalist, one might say? Sounds like the self-knowledge paper might be relevant here. (Surely he's wrong about the impossibility of not knowing what one's own cards are? I mean, philosophical positions to that effect are OK, but a joke's a joke.)

1:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home