Sunday, October 23, 2005

harrumph.

I did NOT have another hypomanic episode. Drat!

But many of the signs were there - inner racing, inability to concentrate, finding what other people were talking about not all that compelling, great excitement. But while I didn't think I'd ever experience a negative emotion again, I could conceive of their existence. Maybe I was just excited at the prospect of dinner at Oleana.

Wow, having wireless access - being at a cafe that has wireless access - after an at-home wifi drought is kind of dizzying. So, things in no order:

1. today at church, someone got up and said "I'm from the Intergenerational Men's Discussion Group, and the topic of our next discussion is "Romance: Men's Hidden Strength." So if you're a man, or self-identify as a man, please join us."
That's what I'm going to tell someone if I'm ever asked about Unitarianism.

2. I haven't written anything in over a year and a half, and I'm finding it increasingly morally unjustifiable to continue that (although yesterday I did tell someone, somewhat ingenuously, that I needed to get back to procrastinating) and so today bought a book called - wait for it - "The Courage to Write." Ouch. And there was another one I kind of wanted called "The Motivation to Write" but I couldn't bring them both up to the counter! I was in Harvard Square! Maybe Davis Square would have been a different story - as I was walking up here I heared some young guy brag to two girls that he knew Portuguese Brazilian. The Motivation to Make a Fool of Yourself.

3. I subscribed to this dictionary.com Word of the Day email service not, I now see, so that I could learn new words, but so I could feel pleased at knowing all the words. But they're cheating! Tocsin? Pelf? C'mon!

4. Last night Susan and I were cutting through Boston Common and there, lined up two or three deep all over the paths, were hundreds and hundreds of glowing jack-o'-lanterns. Piled everywhere. And there was this huge rack easily 40 feet high and 20 feet wide, filled with jack-o'-lanterns - really funny novice ones, and ones that were so intricate or so conceptually interesting that they challenged the notion of j-o'-l's, and it was dark and drizzly but there were all these people milling around under umbrellas drinking cider and checking out all the GOD I'M TIRED OF TYPING THAT. But really, you should have seen it. Nothing puts you in a good mood like having a zillion jack-o'-lanterns sprung on you.

10 Comments:

Blogger dave said...

Wouldn't it be "jacks o'lantern"? And if not, shouldn't it be?

Anyway I hope yer reading or have read On Beauty, because it's all kinds of Boston-area set.

11:25 AM  
Blogger j. ondioline said...

Yes, jacks-o'-lantern. What a great word; yet how annoying to type. did I tell you Shannon thinks that stewardesses is the longest word that can be typed with only the left hand? I wonder what the longest sentence is. Stewardesses dressed. Um. Stewardesses dressed caressed tresses. No good.

I need to wait at least 10 years to read any more ZS. I get enough Boston from walking around reading Updike, whose most recent (?) novel "Villages" makes me think we need a female Updike and wonder if we have one. But you should visit here; I think you'd like it.

12:38 PM  
Blogger g odoreida said...

Given that you can get "stewardesses," "caressed," "tresses," and "breasts," I'm guessing there's some soft-core to be had. Gives new meaning to "typing one-handed." I must alert Wolfson. (Background.)

12:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

pelf looks like a good boggle word!

3:16 PM  
Blogger g odoreida said...

Breezes affect crafts: xebecs swerve, reverse, freeze.

(That's right, xebecs. Boo-yah! And as you know, I'm being restrained.)

4:05 PM  
Blogger dave said...

I did visit once and did like it. Timing and purchasing of weekend trips isn't easy these days. I teach Mondays/Wednesdays. Maybe my boyfriend can finagle us a cheap (read: free-ish) jaunt out there with his fancy airline job, but I'm not sure how long he'll be at this job to do such a thing. I'll suggest it and see what comes up.

Though I really need to get back to Pittsburgh....

4:07 PM  
Blogger dave said...

That is, I teach Mondays/Fridays, though I also teach Wednesdays, as is the way in college.

4:09 PM  
Blogger j. ondioline said...

Well, if you guys make it up here, you've got a place to stay.

G_O., you are being restrained, and I thank you for it. There's restraint all around - I almost commented that I was so impressed with your un-posted, er, vignette, that I would volunteer to appear in any movie whose plot could be described well in, or whose script was entirely written by using, the left side of the keyboard.

4:51 PM  
Anonymous ben wolfson said...

Most punctuation is on the right-hand side. Of course, the index finger of the left hand can reach as far over to the right as m or u without discomfort or disruption of the steady flowing of typing.

A man has never had sex and that man's buds say: he'd best get a dame--any dame! They try and [sic] get that man a date, then many dates, but can he ever get any? Seems that the answer's "yes"—negated! But, he has a crush, and at the end, he and that she have sex.

There. You almost have to retroactively appear in "The 40-Year-Old Virgin".

11:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wordsmith.org has a better word of the day.

9:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home