Thursday, September 01, 2005

MFA Boston. Nobody's Fool.

A few years ago, my ex and I missed a connecting flight to Sydney and got to spend the day in San Francisco. I'd never been to SF, and I wandered around in a daze, thinking it was the most magical place I'd ever seen. 30 hours later we got off the train in downtown Sydney, and San Francisco became a hazily remembered glum little village.

A few nights ago, I was driving across the Veteran's Bridge in Pittsburgh, listening to the Johnsons' Big Band and watching smoke puff out of a stack at the Heinz plant, and I loved Pittsburgh, loved grittiness, loved resoluteness, loved the smoke and lights and, as Updike wrote about Eastern PA, the cloudless white skies. Today on the way to work I walked from South Station to the Boston Public Market, which is held on a footbridge over the harbor every Monday and Thursday from June through November. The smell of the sea blew up from the harbor and the cheery red-faced Fendleys and Flahertys beamed from the sides of the streets. At the market I was offered my choice of Thai, lemon, chocolate or regular basil. I fondled huge, psychedelic, obscene heirloom tomatoes, tasted rosemary goat cheeses from a nearby creamery, and bought corn that had been picked hours before. Then I went in to work and spent a riotous 30 minutes plotting with Susan and Erin about how to use "Susan's" membership card ("I have one but it's not mine") to trick the MFA out of comp tickets to the Ansel Adams exhibit. Then I got an email message from Reality Tom saying that he found a great new restaurant and that we were going on Sunday, his treat.

Just sayin'.

5 Comments:

Blogger Jean-Pierre said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

9:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

what _are_ you trying to say?
Every town is great in it's own way and no one is any better than another?

Who the hell needs 4 types of basil anyway?

7:13 PM  
Blogger j. ondioline said...

OK, Captain Relativism. Hope you don't live in Pittsburgh and need to rely on the PAT system, or want to meet anyone single over the age of 30, or have your government believe in anything besides sports.

That being said, I love my friends and I love my family. I've lived in Pittsburgh my whole life. I am a Pittsburgher. Who thinks it's cool to live somewhere where there are French-Cambodian restaurants and Turkish classes and people sailing on the river and strong academic communities and you're a short drive to the mountains and a short drive to the sea. Y'know what I'm sayin'?

11:19 PM  
Blogger g odoreida said...

The JBB are back together? Why didn't anyone tell me?

As I have pointed out multiple times in the past, Pittsburgh is objectively pretty great when it's compared to a broad spectrum of places in the U.S.

3:36 PM  
Blogger g odoreida said...

and will continue to point out multiple times in the future... I wish I could edit my posts to remove the redundancies.

3:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home