Monday, July 25, 2005

things.

1. I know I'm jinxing myself terribly, but I can't not say this: I've been doing a good bit of work here with the research team (researching usability, human factors, urban anthropology stuff), and there is a chance that my internship might be extended for 4 months so I can be the co-researcher on trips to Europe and Australia this fall.

The partners have wanted to hire a junior researcher to help the researcher who is going out to do this project, and I just today suggested to my boss that I do it - as an intern, I'm cheaper both for them and for the client, and it would allow me to get more experience in research (which work I've been enjoying more than the straight writing I've been doing, except for the naming, which is fun), and I already have experience being out on interviews and mining data and so on. If this happens, I'd finish school in the spring and graduate in May 2006 - I'll have to check with CMU about this, but I can't see why they wouldn't allow it (it probably won't hurt that my boss was an MAPW, and the other researcher has an M.A. from CMU as well).


1. Could I ever love someone who spelled "cheering" "chearing?"

5 Comments:

Anonymous Ashley said...

good for you! i'm jealous, though had i ever worked for them i might have had to put up with the asshole ex-boyfriend significantly more, and certainly wouldn't have been able to resit sharing horror stories about him with my coworkers. gee. now that i've typed that, i'm thinking better you than me. at any rate, good work!

4:21 PM  
Blogger j. ondioline said...

Thanks - nothing more than talk, now, but my boss said he mentioned it to the partners and they seemed interested, and I mentioned it to our sales guy, who carries a lot of weight, and he thought it was a good idea. Cross your fingers for me!

Oh and yeah - the co-worker w/whom I'd be travelling used to work w/PCram.

7:05 PM  
Anonymous Sarah said...

Yes. Very jealous. And lots of people do that - finish in the Spring - so don't worry about that.

6:37 PM  
Blogger j. ondioline said...

Well, update. I don't think I'm going to join the researchers because I'm working on a project right now, and the head researcher and I are comically unable to communicate; it's like slapstick. And I think he thinks I'm dour, humorless, and stupid. The work I'm doing for them now is basically tedious busywork, but it demands your total attention, and there are hours and hours of it. This is a frustrating position to be in - feeling like you're not doing something you're interested in or good at, under this weird "maybe they'll want me to stay on so maybe I can do something better, but probably not" scenario which probably makes them feel just as tense as it does me.

on the plus side, the chearer showed up with a bottle of wine and within 5 minutes fessed up to a horrible spelling error in his last email to me (the "chear"), which is kind of charming, and kind of, um. I mean, it's the kind of thing I would do, and do I want to date me? I do not.

I know, I'm just being unreasonable. I'm sure things would look up if I could sleep for 36 hours.

8:27 AM  
Blogger g odoreida said...

he thinks I'm dour, humorless, and stupid

???? This is like someone thinking I'm quiet, middle-of-the-road, and insufficiently geeky.

4:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home