Saturday, May 14, 2005

stalking lite

Today I went to Whole Foods because, I told myself, "they are more likely to have lemongrass." I examined the produce and the bottled things zealously so as to not be caught craning my head around for a glimpse of J., who probably wasn't even working. Felicitously, I ran into H., and we smiled shyly at each other and kind of followed one another around and traded the sort of witty-but-ill-formed observations that you do when you're interested but nervous and don't really know one another very well, so you end up sounding as though English is your third language:

H: I am going to where the expensive things are.
me: ha, ha, to get the most (unintelligible) per square (beat) inch!

Right. Anyway, we're not close enough acquaintances to have an official impromptu social visit in a supermarket, so I drifted away and no numbers were exchanged. But it was good to flirt dorkily with him there; H. would be far and away more appropriate for me to date than J., and it's reassuring to know that I'm not exclusively drawn to young rockers who didn't go to college and look smashing with their shirts off or gorgeous, arrogant homosexuals. H. is, of course, a graduate student, so I'm back to where I started. Let's hope.

Whole Foods has a sign in the parking lot: "Thank you for shopping with us." On my next visit, I'm going to affix a sign to my car that says "Thank you for employing non-phone-call-returning cads."

3 Comments:

Blogger hmmm...what? said...

Lemongrass, I see.

This does read a bit like a munch review, 'HH had the white zinfandel, which as usual, was not cold enough...'

Anyway, for anyone who is interested:

Main Entry: vel·le·i·ty
Pronunciation: ve-'lE-&-tE, v&-
Function: noun
Inflected Form(s): plural -ties
Etymology: New Latin velleitas, from Latin velle to wish, will -- more at WILL
1 : the lowest degree of volition
2 : a slight wish or tendency : INCLINATION

9:19 PM  
Blogger hmmm...what? said...

by the way
Mark thinks it should be 'missondiolinegirl'

9:22 PM  
Blogger j. ondioline said...

well, I thought I'd leave "missondiolinegirl" for Mark. And I'm considering revoking your commenting privileges for the HH mention(and those were woody, not munch! Munch was interminable hockey refernces.)

9:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home